How to Transfer Google Chrome Profile to Another Computer
Google Chrome is one of the popular web browsers. If you are a Google Chrome user, you probably know that it allows you to create multiple user profiles. After creating a user profile, you can enable synchronization by linking the user profile to your Google account. The benefit of enabling synchronization is to save your browsing data, such as bookmarks, cache, history, etc., to the cloud. If you’re using Google Chrome on another Windows computer, you’ll get all your browsing data by transferring the Chrome profile to that computer. This article will show you how to transfer google chrome profile to another computer.
How to Transfer Google Chrome Profile to Another Computer
Learn how to export Google Chrome settings and bookmarks to another computer by following the steps in this article.
- Create a new profile and link it to an existing Google account
- Copying the contents of the User Data folder to the new computer
- Importing a registry branch
Let’s see all these methods in detail.
1]How to transfer Google Chrome profile to another computer by creating a new profile
This is the easiest method to transfer a Google Chrome account to another computer. You just need to create a new profile on another computer. Then, link this profile to your existing Google account. The following steps will guide you on this.
- First, download and install Google Chrome on another computer.
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click the profile icon in the top right, then click the Add button.
- A new window will appear on your screen asking you to set up a new Chrome profile.
- Click on Login. After that, you will be asked to enter your Google account details.
- Sign in with that Google account whose data you want to transfer to another computer.
Once logged into your Google account, Chrome will automatically link the newly created profile to that account. Now you will see all your bookmarks, browsing history, etc. on this computer.
If the login button does not work, follow the instructions below:
- Click on the Continue without account option.
- Enter your profile name and select a theme. After that click on Ended.
- A new Chrome window will open with this profile. Now click on the profile icon on the top right and select Activate synchronization.
- Enter your Google account details and sign in.
2]How to transfer Google Chrome profile to another computer by copying the contents of the User Data folder
Chrome stores all user data in the User data case. This folder is located in the C directory of your Windows computer. If you copy this folder to the C directory of another computer, all your Chrome profiles will be transferred to this computer.
The following instructions will show you how to do this:
First, close the Chrome browser (if it’s already running). After that, open Task Manager and close all Chrome apps running in the background
Open the Course control box (Win + R keys).
Copy the following path and paste it into the Course control box. After that, click OK.
The above command will open the Chromium folder located in your C directory. There you will see a folder named User data. If you open the User Data folder, you will see all Chrome profiles with names, Profile 1, Profile 2, etc.
Now copy the User Data folder and paste it into your Pendrive or other USB storage device. The data transfer time will depend on the size of the User Data folder.
After copying the User Data folder to your Pendrive, eject it from your computer and connect it to the computer you want to transfer your Chrome profiles to.
Now type the following command in the Run command box and click OK.
The above command will open the User Data folder on this computer. Now open the User Data folder in your Pendrive and copy all the contents inside it. Go back to the open User Data folder in C drive and paste all the copied contents there. If you receive the Replace or skip files confirmation box, select Replace files in destination option.
Now launch the Chrome browser. You will see a new window displaying all of your Chrome profiles.
Read: Fixed Your profile could not be opened correctly in Google Chrome.
3]How to transfer a Google Chrome profile to another computer by importing a registry branch
You can also transfer the Google Chrome profile to another computer by importing a registry branch. This method did not work for me but some users found it useful. You can also try this. Before proceeding, we recommend creating a system restore point and backing up your registry.
Click Windows Search and type registry editor. Select the Registry Editor app from the search results. To select Yes if you get the UAC prompt.
Now copy the following path and paste it in the registry editor address bar. After that press Enter.
Click on the File menu and select Export. Give this file a name and save it to your Pendrive.
Connect your Pendrive to another computer. Double-click on the registry key saved in your Pendrive. In the UAC prompt, click Yes.
Now launch Chrome browser and you will see all your Chrome profiles there.
How to transfer passwords saved in your Chrome profile to another computer
Let’s see how to transfer the passwords saved on a particular Chrome profile from one computer to another computer. First, you need to export your saved password to a CSV file and then import this file to Chrome browser on another computer.
Instructions for the same are written below:
- Open the Chrome browser on the computer from which you want to export the passwords.
- Click on the three vertical dots at the top right and select Settings.
- To select Automatic filling on the left side.
- Click on Passwords.
- Now click on the three vertical dots next to the Saved passwords option and select Export passwords.
- You will be asked to enter your computer’s password. Enter your computer password and save the file to your Pendrive.
- Now connect the USB drive to another computer.
- Open Chrome browser on another computer and type chrome://flags/ in the address bar and press Enter.
- Type Import password in Search Flags box. After that, click on the Default drop-down menu next to the Password Import option and select Authorized. Relaunch Chrome.
- Go to “Settings > Autofill > Passwords.”
- Click on the three vertical dots next to the Saved passwords option and select Import.
- Select the CSV file from your Pendrive and click Open. This will import your passwords.
Read: How to password protect Google Chrome profile.
Where are Google Chrome profiles stored?
Google Chrome profiles are stored in the User Data folder located in C drive. To locate the User Data folder, open the Run command box and type the following command and click OK.
By opening the User Data folder, you will see all of your Chrome profiles.
How to restore deleted Chrome profiles?
Google Chrome has a synchronization option. If you enable this option, all your profile data including your profile settings, bookmarks, cache, etc. will be saved to the cloud. But to enable the sync option, you need to link your Chrome profile to your Google account.
If you have enabled the sync option, you can easily restore your deleted Chrome profile. To do this, create a new profile in Google Chrome. After that, click on the profile icon and click on the Activate synchronization button. Now sign in using your Google account details. When you sign in to Chrome, your deleted profile is restored.
I hope this helps you.
Read more: Enable or disable profile manager in Google Chrome browser.